By Marcel Stoetzler
Read Online or Download Antisemitism and the constitution of sociology PDF
Best jewish books
This e-book is the 1st to discover the Jewish contribution to, and integration with, Ukrainian tradition. Yohanan Petrovsky-Shtern makes a speciality of 5 writers and poets of Jewish descent whose literary actions span the Eighties to the Nineties. not like their East eu contemporaries who disparaged the tradition of Ukraine as second-rate, stateless, and colonial, those participants embraced the Russian- and Soviet-dominated Ukrainian group, incorporating their Jewish matters of their Ukrainian-language writings.
This booklet makes use of contemporary psychoanalytic concept to research the paintings of 3 modern scholars--Harold Bloom, Stanley Cavell, and Sacvan Bercovitch--while viewing their paintings as expressing Jewish immigrant wants for integration into American tradition. "This booklet will fill a tremendous hole within the background of yankee feedback and ethnic experiences.
Via making a discussion among Israeli and American Jewish authors, students, and intellectuals, this ebook examines how those literatures, which typically don't deal with each other without delay, however proportion a few commonalities and affinities. The disinclination of Israeli and American Jewish fictional narratives to gravitate towards each other tells us a lot concerning the tactics of Jewish self-definition as expressed in literary texts over the past fifty years.
- In the Shadow of History: Jews and Conversos at the Dawn of Modernity
- Bernard Revel - Builder of American Jewish Orthodoxy
- The King's Jews: Money, Massacre and Exodus in Medieval England
- Mon Combat
- Jewish identity in modern art history
- Moses Mendelssohn and the Religious Enlightenment
Additional info for Antisemitism and the constitution of sociology
27. Quoted in Sutton, Nationalism, Positivism and Catholicism, 18–19. It would be perfectly possible, of course, to construct—in keeping with Luther and Kant, though probably less so with Rousseau— exactly the opposite argument, namely that monotheism strengthens “the respect that the conscience owes to its visible and near masters”; this would be the line of reasoning to be expected in a romantic-nationalist context, which Maurras rejected in theory, although in practice romantic and integral, classicist nationalism are not easily kept apart.
37. The 1847 edition was in two volumes, while the 1845 edition was in one. A German edition appeared already in 1851. 38. It should perhaps be added that there is a lot in Fourier—some of what he has to say on labor and on sex and gender—that is of great importance, in spite of his general political program and its antisemitism. 39. The antisemitic socialists’ fixation on the Jews as an unproductive, exploitative, and corrosive “financial aristocracy” derived from a simple reversal of Saint-Simon’s celebration of the struggle of the productive against the parasitical classes (whereby Saint-Simon and the Saint-Simonians themselves saw bankers and Jews in the camp of the productive).
While Tönnies seems to have held (in private) antisemitic and antimodernist views in his early twenties, an impulse that lived on in his main work, Gemeinschaft und Gesellschaft (published in 1887 when he was just thirty-two), he was also vehemently opposed to the antisocialist laws, supported activities of the labor movement and, in 1930, actually joined the Social Democratic Party (Liebersohn, Fate and Utopia in German Sociology, 12). While “Tönnies integrated Hobbesian theory and utilitarianism into a postliberal dialectic” (21), the early formation of the concept of the Gemeinschaft was inspired by Nietzsche’s concept of “Dionysian oneness,” Hobbes’s and Schopenhauer’s emphasis on “the will,” and the historical research by Lewis Morgan, Johann Bachofen, and Otto von Gierke.